Marriage Licenses are issued by Knox County Probate Court. The court is located at 111 East High Street in Mount Vernon, Ohio. The office is open between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. The bride and groom will be ask to complete an information sheet. You can obtain this form at the bottom of the page. The application for a marriage license is $45, payable in the form of cash or check; to Knox County Probate Court. The marriage license if valid at the time it is issued and for the next sixty days.
The following conditions must be met:
- Both parties must be present.
- One of the parties must be a resident of Knox County. If both parites are out of state residents, but are being married in Knox County they may obtain a license.
- Both parties must be over the age of 18 (If one of the parties isnít please contact the court for specific instructions.)
- Both parties must have a photo ID
- If either party has been married before the following documents need to be presented
- The Final Divorce Decree- This must be signed by the Judge
- Death Certificate.
Forms Can be Printed and filled out or filled out online and printer by click the following links:
After applying for a receiving your marriage license the following steps need to be followed to obtain a Marriage Certification.
Social Security Administration
- The minister or person performing the ceremony shall fill out the bottom portion of the license, stating the date they performed the ceremony, and return it to Probate Court in the envelope provided.
- About one week to ten days after the marriage, one of the parties should come back to Probate Court to obtain a CERTIFIED COPY of their marriage license. This is the document that Social Security requires to change the brideís information. The cost of the certified copy is $3.00. Out of town residents should mail a request for a certified copy of their marriage license and enclose $3.00 along with a self addressed stamped envelope to the Knox County Probate Court, 111 East High Street, Mount Vernon, OH 43050
- Once you have received your certified copy and the application form for Social Security, the bride must complete the information on the application and attach a certified copy of the marriage license and mail it to the following address:
125 Derby Downs Road
Newark, OH 43055
If you should have any questions, please feel free to contact this office.
Knox County Probate Court
111 East High Street
Mount Vernon, OH 43050