@History
History of Knox County

Knox County History

Events of 1926 to 1950

Tragic fires begin and end this period, with the destruction of the Knox Oil Refinery in 1925 and Old Kenyon at Gambier in 1949. The Memorial Building was opened in 1926 and the highway to Coshocton was completed by 1927. In 1929, The Cooper-Bessemer merger occured just prior to the October stock market crash.

The depression hit the county hard, but the arrival of Shellmar, a packaging company previously based in Chicago, helped the local economy greatly. The Mount Vernon News emerged after absorbing the old Democratic Banner. The county’s many one-room schools declined as consolidations and new districts were formed. Dial telephone service came to Gambier in 1939, Fredericktown in 1941, Centerburg in 1948, but not to Mount Vernon until 1950.

More than 4,400 men and women would serve in World War II from Knox County, with 123 giving their lives. The U. S. Navy received diesel engines from Cooper-Bessemer and landing craft from the Mount Vernon Bridge Company during the war, and Shellmar provided special packaging for army food products. By mid-century, we faced the beginnings of action in the Korean War.

< 1901 to 1925>   < 1951 to 1975>


Copyright 2007-2017 Knox County, Ohio. All Rights Reserved.  Home