@History
History of Knox County

Knox County History

Events of 1876 to 1900

It was in 1875 that the C. & G. Cooper Co. developed and patented the innovative ďtraction gearĒ drive, making their steam-driven farm engines self-propelled. A few years later they would be self-steered as well, eliminating the need for horses altogether. The Mount Vernon Bridge Co. was begun in the late 1870ís, constructing many large and small bridges before it fell on hard times and closed during the economic downturn of the 1890ís, to be reborn under new management just few years later. Kenyon graduate, Rutherford B. Hayes, served as our 19th U.S. President from 1876-1880.

During the 1880ís, William C. Cooper served in the U.S. House of Representatives and was responsible for the revised federal election laws we operate under today. Our fairgrounds relocated to its present location on Wooster Road., but was sold in the 1890ís to become Hiawatha Park, an entertainment center and summer resort. N. N. Hill published his massive History of Knox County in 1881, and soon after, telephone and electric service came to our county.

Eleven new post offices opened, at Ankenytown, Batemantown, Buckeye City, Delano, Esto, Eugene, Morgan Center, Nunda, Rolla, Rosstown, and Zuck. As the century came to a close, Mount Vernonís Company L saw action for eight months in Puerto Rico in 1898 during the Spanish-American War.

< 1851 to 1875>   < 1901 to 1925>


Copyright 2007-2017 Knox County, Ohio. All Rights Reserved.  Home